Monday, February 7, 2011

Poems -- If


One of the memories at Grandma and Grandpa Christensen's house that has impacted my life the most was when Uncle Reed recited the poem If by Rudyard Kipling for Grandpa. I think it must have been Grandpa's birthday or some other day we were celebrating him. Rather than give Grandpa a traditional present, he gave Grandpa this poem along with some of his thoughts about it.

"Funny Uncle Reed" and Grandpa were two of my heros from as early as I can remember. And to see their interaction -- and the love and the glistening eyes that were part of this event was wonderful. I had never heard that poem before and hadn't ever been a fan of poetry, but this started me down that path. I learned something that both of them already knew -- so much of life's feelings and sentiments can be shared through so few words with poetry.

It has been fun to learn and hear more of the poetry that was important to Grandma and Grandpa because through those poems we get a glimpse of what they valued and who they were as people.

~Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment