Wednesday, January 12, 2011

We Stand on Their Shoulders

We stand on the shoulders of so many people.
This fall our family have been collecting stories of all kinds. It seemed to us that we'd like to share the ones about some of the people upon whose shoulders we stand.
The poet John Henry Newman wrote,
"Lead, kindly Light,. . . .Lead thou me on!. . .
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till the night is gone.
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
Which [we] have loved long since, and lost a while!"
This photograph at the left is one of Owen, Miriam Barker, and Dad's Father, Bernard Niels Christensen. Grandfather Bernard and Grandmother Maud Rosalie Driggs Christensen are some of "those angel faces which I have loved long since, and lost a while."
We hope you'll enjoy turning your thoughts and hearts to some of our loved ones this New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you to Karen and Miriam for this wonderful blog. I gasped and cried a few tears at seeing these wonderful pictures. I realized after a few minutes that the picture might have been grandmother's obituary. I have only seen a couple of pictures of her throughout my life.
    The picture of grandfather, my dad, and Miriam Barker is also a new one to me. My brother Todd looked exactly like Dad did when he was that age. It is amazing

    ReplyDelete